Police Callsign Types
Call sign Format
With the exception of Counties Manukau and Bay of Plenty police districts, who operate a different system, unit call signs follow this format:
- Two characters: indicating the home station, beat area or district in which the unit primarily operates.
- A character indicating the unit type.
- Up to three characters which uniquely identify the unit.
In the Counties Manukau and Bay of Plenty police districts, unit call signs are five characters in length and follow this format:
- Two characters that identify the geographical area of responsibility.
- A letter and digit that identify the unit type.
- Unique identifier of the unit: Digit = supervisory/NCO level and above; Letter = others.
- TNI3 Takapuna I-Car (general duties), late shift.
- SVM1 Auckland Motorways motorcycle unit, section 1.
- CMT8C Counties Manukau serious crash unit officer.
For a list of the home station codes, see Category:Police callsigns for a list of each region page with police callsigns.
Occasionally non standard callsigns are used for special purposes.
|Zero Alpha||Armed Offender Squad incident control point|
|Northcomm Alpha||Shift Commander, Northern Comm Centre|
|Central Alpha||Shift Commander, Central Comm Centre|
|Southcomm Alpha||Shift Commander, Southern Comm Centre|
|AVSEC||Aviation Security Service pandemic response assistance team|
|DCC||District Command Center|
|JTOC||Auckland Transport Operations Centre|
|WNTOC||Wellington Transport Operations Centre|
Unit type codes are as follows (Trial call sign unit identifiers in use in Counties Manukau and Bay of Plenty districts are also listed):
|A||Commissioned officer (inspector)|
|C||Crime Car (CIB patrol for initial attendance at serious crimes)|
|D||Dog patrol / Delta|
|E||Uniform Enquiry unit|
|H||Highway Patrol traffic unit|
|I||Incident Patrol (Uniform); also Public Safety Team (multi crew)|
|J||Combined investigative unit; also Public Safety Team (single crew)|
|K||Scene of Crime officer|
|L||Police Launch; also Prisoner Transport|
|M||Mounted patrol (Motorcycle/Bicycles)|
|P||Team Policing Unit|
|Q||Single crewed unit attends historic/non urgent incidents|
|R||Rural Patrol Unit; also Road Policing Unit|
|S||Public Safety Team Sergeant (PST is the new name for General Duties)|
|T||General Traffic unit (road policing/CVST)|
|W||Misc Traffic units (Speed Cameras/Commercial Vehicle investigation units)|
|X||Misc CIB units|
|Z||Diplomatic Protection Squad; also Community Patrols|