Police Callsign Types
Call sign Format
With the exception of Counties Manukau and Bay of Plenty police districts, who operate a different system, unit call signs follow this format:
- Two characters: indicating the home station, beat area or district in which the unit primarily operates.
- A character indicating the unit type.
- Up to three characters which uniquely identify the unit.
In the Counties Manukau and Bay of Plenty police districts, unit call signs are five characters in length and follow this format:
- Two characters that identify the geographical area of responsibility.
- A letter and digit that identify the unit type.
- Unique identifier of the unit: Digit = supervisory/NCO level and above; Letter = others.
- TNI3 Takapuna I-Car (general duties), late shift.
- SVM1 Auckland Motorways motorcycle unit, section 1.
- CMT8C Counties Manukau serious crash unit officer.
For a list of the home station codes, see Category:Police callsigns for a list of each region page with police callsigns.
Some non standard callsigns are used for special purposes.
|Zero Alpha||Armed Offenders Squad incident commander|
|Northcomm Alpha||Shift Commander, Northern Comm Centre|
|Central Alpha||Shift Commander, Central Comm Centre|
|Southcomm Alpha||Shift Commander, Southern Comm Centre|
|AVSEC||Aviation Security Service pandemic response assistance team|
|DCC||District Command Centre|
|ATOC||Auckland Transport Operations Centre (some staff use old one of JTOC)|
|WNTOC||Wellington Transport Operations Centre|
|Code||Description||Counties Manukau/Bay of Plenty Areas|
|A||Commissioned Officer (Inspector etc)||Commissioned Officer|
|B||Beat Unit||Beat Unit|
|C||Crime Car/CIB Patrol||Crime Car/CIB Patrol|
|CP||Community Patrol (civilians)||??|
|D||Dog Patrol (Delta)||Dog Patrol (Delta)|
|E||Uniform Enquiry Car||Reserved|
|H||Highway Patrol Unit||Highway/Motorway Patrol Unit|
|I||Incident Patrol (I-Car)||Public Safety Team (Multi Crew)|
|J||Combined Investigative Unit||Public Safety Team (Single Crew)|
|K||Scene of Crime Officer (SOCO)||Reserved|
|L||Maritime Launch||Custody Unit/Support|
|M||Mounted Patrol (Motorcycle/Bicycle)||DCC Support/Intel Unit|
|N||Senior Sergeant||Senior Sergeant|
|O||Community Policing||Community Policing|
|P||Team Policing||Team Policing|
|Q||Single Crew Patrol (Q-Car)||Training|
|R||Rural Patrol Car||Road Crime Unit|
|S||Sergeant - Public Safety (also used added after other prefixes)||Sergeant - Public Safety|
|T||Traffic Unit||Road Policing/SCU/CVST|
|U||Motorway Patrol Unit||Operation A|
|V||Sergeant - Traffic||Operation B|
|W||Special Traffic (Speed Cameras/CVST)||Maritime Launch/PNT/AOS/STG|
|X||General CIB||General CIB|
|Y||Youth Aid/Education||Major CIB|
|YZ||Armed response unit?||??|
|Z||Diplomatic/VIP/Witness Protection||Maori Warden/Camera Operator/Community Patrol|