Police Callsign Types
Police unit callsigns have the first two letters of their home station (eg HN for Hamilton), then usually one (or two) letters for the unit type (e.g. S for sergeant), then numbers for the unique unit or shift group.
- HNS1 is Hamilton general duties sergeant section 1.
- TNI3 is Takapuna I-Car (General Duties), Late Shift
- SVU13 is an Auckland Motorways traffic unit
For a list of the home station codes, see Category:Police callsigns for a list of each region page with police callsigns.
Occasionally non standard callsigns are usedfor special purposes.
- Zero Alpha = Armed Offender Squad incident control point.
- Northcomm Alpha = Shift Commander, Northern Comm Centre
- Central Alpha = Shift Commander, Central Comm Centre
- Southcomm Alpha = Shift Commander, Southern Comm Centre
- DCC = District Command Center
Unit type codes (third letter) are as follows:
|A||Commissioned officer (inspector)|
|C||Crime Car (CIB patrol for initial attendance at serious crimes)|
|D||Dog patrol / Delta|
|E||Uniform Enquiry unit|
|H||HighwayPatrol traffic unit|
|I||Incident Patrol (Uniform)|
|J||Combined investigative unit|
|K||Scene of Crime officer|
|M||Mounted patrol (Motorcycle/Bicycles)|
|P||Team Policing Unit|
|Q||Single crewed unit attends historic/non urgent incidents|
|S||General Duties Sergeant|
|T||General Traffic unit|
|W||Misc Traffic units (Speed Cameras/Commercial Vehicle investigation units)|
|X||Misc CIB units|
|Z||Diplomatic Protection Squad|